The amalfi coast and beyond
A Photographic Journey
May 13-20, 2017
The price of this tour is $4,200
Reserve Your Place with a Deposit of $700
• Walk the famous Path of the Gods
• Explore the remarkable Temples of Paestum
• Experience Ravello’s Ruffulo Gardens
• Stay at a beautiful villa overlooking the sea
• Feast on organic Italian Cuisine
• Photography Lessons, Tips and Coaching
Buongiorno! After settling into your room in the beautifully renovated, historic seaside villa in Vieri Sul Mare, Campania Italy enjoy a welcome party and introductions on the main lawn.
The seaside town of Amalfi is set at the base of a river valley called the Valle dei Mulini, Valley of the Mills, which was a thriving industry of paper production in the middle ages. You will meet “Rosa” our wonderful local guide (and walking encyclopedia) who will escort us through the lemon groves, ancient ruins and along the mountain streams. We will picnic along the crystal clear river and cool off our feet before heading to the Reserve Integrale, a protected paradise where we will photograph the rare fauna and flora and cascading waterfalls. Dinner will be included at one of our favorite restaurants.
Today, we will take a short drive to Ravello, a mountaintop village and gateway to the Villa Ruffulol, built in the 13th century and known as one of the largest and most expensive villas on the Amalfi Coast. Cooled by the umbrella pines, we will take our time meandering through the spectacular gardens overlooking the sea. Here, we will witness the merge of history, culture, architecture, arts and natural beauty. At lunch time, we will board a small boat which will take us to a seaside cafe where we will feast on the catch of the day and rustic Italian cuisine. The rest of the afternoon will provide you an opportunity to walk the beautiful town of Amalfi to explore and shop at your leisure.
Today, a private boat will take us to the hidden beaches where you can hone your photography skills, take a swim, catch some rays, take a nap or read a book. We will pack picnic baskets filled with a delicious foods and take in the sights and sounds of this breathtaking place. Dinner will be prepared at your villa by a private chef.
An earlier wake up call for a forty-five minute drive down the coast then up to Boomerano, where we will begin the trek along the famous Path of the Gods. We will walk along the highlands above the emerald sea contemplating the most striking panoramas on earth. We will take our time to enjoy, shoot, rest and of course eat along the path. On our descent, we will stop at For Porta to enjoy fresh (we’re talking right off the vine) lemonade. Here, we will end our day with a cooking class and dinner. Not into cooking? Simply sit back, enjoy a glass of wine and continue to photograph the picturesque surroundings.
A day of options including a tour of Salerno, shopping, kayaking, photo processing and resting at the villa. Dinner will be included at a terrific restaurant in Salerno.
We will enjoy a leisurely breakfast before heading off to Paestum. After a short tour of a mozzarella factory and lovely lunch we will drive a short distance to the land that takes us back in time over two thousand years ago. Here, the Temples of Hera and Athena, built circa 500 BC and the ancient community remain in remarkable condition. Words are hard to find to describe this foregone landscape where we will spend a fair amount of time. After a private tour the golden hours will provide the opportunity for fantastic photography. We will have plenty to talk about as we head back to our villa with a stop along the way for authentic Italian pizza dinner in the heart of Salerno.
Photography critiques, farewells, debriefing and transfers to Rome or Naples.
1. How much walking/hiking will be involved? As you can see from the images, the seaside villages are built into the cliffs. Everyday walking is more challenging than here in the states especially on the cobblestone streets. You will have the option to trek along the Path of the Gods which is approximately six miles. The Valley of the Mills hike is approximately 3-5 miles.
2. How difficult are the two treks (Path of Gods and Valley of the Mills)? I consider myself in good shape but there were a few times I was huffing and puffing. If you can walk 1.5 miles at a moderate pace without being overly winded, you should be fine. There’s plenty of places to stop, shoot and rest. Consult your physician and please fill out attached medical waiver.
3. Do I need sturdy hiking shoes? Yes. Highly recommended.
4. What will the weather be like? The weather is dry. Expect 70’s during the day and cooler evenings, high 50’s low in the 60’s.
5. How will we get around? We will have private van(s) and driver(s).
6. How many people will be on the tour? Maximum of twelve to ensure personal attention.
7. What photography experience is required? All levels welcome.
8. Can my spouse, who is not interested in photography come along? Yes!
• 8 Days & 7 Nights in a beautifully renovated villa on the sea
• Seven Dinners (2 drinks per)
• Eight Breakfasts
• Three Lunches
• Diverse itinerary with emphasis on history and photography
• All transportation while on tour*
• Cooking Class
• Tour guides
• All Gratuities
• Entrance fees
• Train to Salerno from Naples or Rome (arrival)
• Train to Rome or Naples from Salerno (departure)
• Lodging outside of Vieri Sul Mare, Campania
• Three Lunches
* Note: We will gladly arrange your travel to Salerno for a 15% fee